tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

do i need a temporary event license for a private party in

do i need a temporary event license for a private party in monmouthshire,there will be no sales of food or alcohol but there will be live music from friends and family.We will also try to raise money for charity.It will not be open to the public but all there will be known amoungst us.There is no charge for entry but a donation to the charity will be asked for but not compulsary.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is ***** ***** I can answer this for you.

tdlawyer :

As you're providing entertainment and intending to raise money for charity, this is a "licensable activity" and as such, you will need to apply to the local council for a Temporary Events Notice.

tdlawyer :

You will only need the TEN if the premises are not licenses already, but I assume they're note as you don't mention that in your question.

Customer:

do we need a TEN even though we are having a private party?

tdlawyer :

Yes, because you intend to make money for charity. If you had no intention of charging an entry or donating to charity, then you're not likely to, but as mad as it sounds, because you intend to do this, you will require a TEN.

tdlawyer :

It is really easy to get one though. Is there any reason you don't want to apply for one?

Customer:

we are actually in the process of applying but the environmental officer has great concerns about the noise that may be created and will give his answer to us on Monday, this is the latest time we have and we are looking for legal alternative ways to have a party while still supporting the charity.

tdlawyer :

There isn't a way around the TEN without using premises that are already licensed I'm afraid.

tdlawyer :

IN my experience, it's rare these things get refused, especially if the potential noise is limited, but they can of course decline the TEN in appropriate cases.