Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am a hypnotherapist who agreed to provide 5 therapy sessions

I am a hypnotherapist who agreed to provide 5 therapy sessions for a client for £200 on a special offer of 5 sessions for the price of 4 provided on the basis that the customer paid in full on the first session which she had. The first 2sessions were carried out. The customer changed the next appointment and the next (both times the client notified me the day before and I was unable to get another client). She has now contacted me stating that she cannot continue because both her son and father are poorly and asked for a refund. I replied empathasing with her situation and stated that I would notbprovide a refund because therapy had commenced but would be happy for her to continue treatment when convenient. I do not have anything related to this on my website. Where do I stand legally please?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
You are well within your rights to refuse a refund.
You made an offer to provide a service which the client accepted and paid for. The fact that client does not wish to continue the arrangement does not give rise to a ground for a refund. Her only ground for a refund would be a breach of contract e.g. that you had failed to provide an adequate service or failed to keep to your side of the bargain. But since the customer is withdrawing from the arrangement then as a matter of law you are not obliged to give a refund: whether you wish to do so on moral grounds is entirely a matter for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks much appreciated. Would you advise me to enter such terms and conditions onto my website to prevent further issues (I have operated for a year and this is my first issue). My website is www.hypnotherapynewport.co.uk
Kindest regards
Lisa
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
It is standard practice to have terms and conditions of business and a privacy statement on a website. To avoid any future problems it would be advisable to have these on your site. I guess your website has been designed and is being run by a web designer. If so, you should consider asking your web designer to put some T&C's up. I would be happy to review them when drafted, if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Alex

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure. Have a good evening. Alex.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Lisa
I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.
Alex Hughes