Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

If the DWP suspect you of having a second bank account you

Customer Question

If the DWP suspect you of having a second bank account you have not told them about , how far back must you show your bank statements .
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes : My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : When did the claim commence?
Alex Hughes : Good evening - do you still need help?
JACUSTOMER-jmh8axh3- : My pension credit started 3 years ago . I inherited money 2 years ago which I put in a separate account for my retirement when I'm 65 .
JACUSTOMER-jmh8axh3- : My pension credit started 3 years ago , I inherited money 2 years ago which I put in a separate account for my retirement when I'm 65 . Someone informed the DWP that I had money , I was called in and asked about it . I stupidly said I didn't have anything , that was in December 2013 , since then I haven't heard anything . I've heard they can look into other banks and ask for the last 3 months statements , is this true . It's in a non interest account .
Alex Hughes : The DWP are not limited to 3 months statements - they can go back to the start of your claim 3 years ago. But it is correct to say they can ask about other bank accounts and look at all the transactions relating to all your accounts. It's not unusual that they haven't been in touch since December 2013 - sometimes a decision on cases can take a number of months. Usually the first correspondence you'll receive is a letter to repay any overpaid benefit. They will then either deal with the matter by way of an out of court administrative penalty or, if they think you have been dishonest, they will prosecute for benefit fraud.
JACUSTOMER-jmh8axh3- : Even if it's in another bank account can they look at all the transactions for 3 years
Alex Hughes : Yes. If they suspect there has been fraud they can ask to look at ALL your bank accounts. It is not unusual to see DWP trawling through through several accounts to see what the income and outgoings have been. In cases involving bank accounts the DWP will usually ask for your cooperation in getting the accounts but if you refuse they could obtain a court order and get the information from the bank directly.