Hello, we bought a house on a very long leasehold one year

Customer Question

Hello, we bought a house on a very long leasehold one year ago. Ever since the estate doesn't allow us to build and it is inhabitable. We are asked to queue until other houses are done up in the street. As you can imagine this is very expensive for us and we don't know what to do. We have written letters to the estate but without reply. What rights do we have? How long can they ask us not to build? Thank you for feedback. Kristina
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please give me a little more information? Are you asking to build an extension and this is what the Estate are objecting to?

I take it that the Estate is the Freeholder? Are they a private Company?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Al, nice to meet you.

We have planning permission to extend the lower ground floor and to build one floor on top. The Estate is the Freeholder.

There has been a building issue with one of the neighbouring houses where the owner went bust and the builders did not finish for a very long time.

For this reason, the neighbours requested to work in a queuing system.

We have now been trying to speak to the neighbours and the Estate but nobody wants to speak to us, nor do they give us any indication. We offered to put a 100k deposit aside and stick to very tight rules in order not minimise the disturbance, all was declined. We cannot afford to pay a very high mortgage plus renting a very expensive flat. Please can you advice me of our rights? Can we build? Can they really ask us to waste so much money? Can we make them reliable on the costs? Thank you so much.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola,

please find someone to help me. Thanks, Kristina

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Nicoola,

since nobody is helping me, please can you refund my money no later than Monday, 28th July 2014.

Thank you. Kristina