Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have a first charge on a property with Hometrader Group,

I have a first charge on a property with Hometrader Group, they have not sold the property as agreed or returned my investment which I have had the right to since June 2014. At what point can I force the sale of the property?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Have you made a formal demand for repayment of your investment?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, a letter before action was sent with a deadline date for 18 July at 4pm.

I requested to withdraw from the agreement in line with the contact on 17th April, I signed the release form to remove the charge which is being held by a solicitor until the funds are returned, I have been waiting since to receive my funds, I also offered them a repayment option which they accepted but have not signed the agreement or made any payment. I have been contacting them for at least 3 months (at first requesting updates on the sale of the property) and very, very rarely receive any response at all.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
You can enforce the charge and seek an order for sale once they are in default.
Are there any prior charge holders?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I have the first charge, I have very little money now and need to find the cheapest (whilst effective) way forward, is this something I could do myself or would I need a solicitor?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
It is quite complex because there is a set Civil Procedure Rule on the topic, however a local solicitor will be able to do it for you and it should be relatively inexpensive and you can recover your fees.
Normally the right to seek possession and force a sale is contained under S.95 of the Law of Property Act 1925. The power of sale is contained under S.101 of the LPA. I need you to confirm does the Charge contain an express power of sale of the property?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had a quick look and I don't think so.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
The relevant civil procedure rule that explains the process is under Part 55.
There is a set Protocol for possession proceedings. If you get this wrong you will have cost sanctions against you.
Contact the Law Society www.lawsociety.org.uk - they will be able to recommend a solicitor local to you. Sending a letter to enforce your right and issuing the proceedings should not be expensive and you should be able to recover the cost.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ