How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33811
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can an adoption order be varied or ended. I am an adoptive

Customer Question

Can an adoption order be varied or ended. I am an adoptive parent whose child had to be returned to the care system because she bought six thugs round to our house (one of whom was a known knife carrier) to beat us up. This was a pre-mediated act and was the end of the line for us. However, we still retail full legal responsibility and the expected outcome was for her to be returned to the family home. This was three years ago and I am now at the end of my tether having continually battled with Social Services to get help and support all to no avail. Now that I have informed them that I wish to relinquish my parenting responsibility, they are beginning to sit up and listen, but for me it is too little too late.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure what you want to do here , lose the adoption order or sue social services?

Best wishes


Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child now and where is she living
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The child is 16 and has been, and still does live, in a residential therapeutic care home which is an approved local authority home. I have been told by the social worker that I cannot relinquish my parental responsibility but I can "withdraw." They will still be obliged to keep me informed of matters, but I do not have to engage. We have another adopted son (brother) and they have contact once every three weeks. About 12 months ago the LA threatened us with pursuing shared legal responsiblity unless we agreed that our daughter could have contact with her birth mother. Therefore they can take away/share legal responsibility, but I cannot relinquish responsibility. This seems very one sided to me.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
The only way that you can relinquish PR is of the child is adopted by some one else
Adoption Orders cannot be revoked.
The Local Authority can take Care Proceedings and share Parental Responsibility with you - but they cannot take it away from you.
I am afraid that the option to withdraw is the only one that is available to you
I am sorry to give such bad news
Please ask if you need further details

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions