12826847

If I drive more than the maximum 10 hours allowed in the UK

Customer Question

If I drive more than the maximum 10 hours allowed in the UK in a single day, is my car insurance still valid.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.

Alex Hughes : My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : What kind of driving do you do? Is it work?
JACUSTOMER-y8q41dko- : Yes, I am a driving instructor and self employed.
Alex Hughes : I will have to review the regulations. May I come back to you shortly?
JACUSTOMER-y8q41dko- : Sure, no problem.
Alex Hughes : I'm looking at the Rules on Drivers Hours and the Working Time Regulations 1998 - the maximum daily limit is 9 hours. Exceeding the limit is likely invalidate the insurance.
Alex Hughes : OK for professional drivers I can see the limit is 10 hours but as you may know the daily and weekly limits can vary depending on the duties undertaken.
Alex Hughes : In respect of the insurance aspect - a policy may well be invalidated if the number of permissible hours is exceeded. Breaking the rules about drivers hours may well result in the insurer refusing to indemnify a claim. You can double check the position. By referring to the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.