Is this the right place to enquire about motor insurance? I

Customer Question

Is this the right place to enquire about motor insurance?
I renewed my policy online whilst i was out of the country, after paying my premium i was then told i had to send in (email copies) my licence and car ownership V5, if I didn't my premium could be increased or the insurance cancelled. Surely that should have been asked for before taking my money not using it to raise more cash?
apologies if this is not a correct question for this web site.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Have you set down snaything untrue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nothing untrue but the insurance broker is blaming the underwriter for the request of documents.

Sorry if Im missing the point but why should that be a difficulty then? You are insured?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The point us that the underwriters have waited until my insurance has been paid and confirmed that I'm covered, they are then demanding documents with the threat that if I do not send in what they want I can be hit with an increase in my premium or a cancelled insurance. Is that not the same as blackmail, am I being exploited? If there was a problem with my details, doubts over my vehicle ownership or type of licence then surely they should have asked for these documents before accepting my business, taking my money. DVLA can verify the validity of everything that they need.
I'm just concerned that they can threaten to cancel or ask for more money whenever they want something plus what happens to the copies being sent in, especially the V5, I've never been asked for that in all the years of driving. Is it legal to demand documents in the manner that they have done?
I am sorry but this is neither blackmail or exploitation.

They are perfectly entitled to documentary proof of your disclosures. That is fairly standard.

If the documentary proof does not support what you have told them then they are entitled to cancel or increase the premiums. I'm sure that won't happen because you have told them the truth.

I'm very sorry but there is no wrongdoing in this. The duty is upon the insured persons to make truthful disclosures.