75100385

Hi I am attending court this morning for a drink driving offence.

Customer Question

Hi I am attending court this morning for a drink driving offence. I was pulled by the police leaving stanstead airport and my reading was 127 microgram mess of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.I did not realise I need a solicitor as I am guilty. Does it mean I will get a heavier fine, ban ? Imprisonment?.should I have have a solicitor?
Di I ask to attend a rehabilitation course?
Will they take into consideration that it is my first offence.? I have 3 points on my licence already.
I am a nurse and drive in the evenings on occasions to clients homes.
I am in court today at 9:45. I did not realise I need a solicitor.
Thanks- please can u advise what I am expecting?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Given the reading you should be able to instruct the duty solicitor when you get to court.
Alex Watts : The reading is very high as the legal limit is 35 in breath.
Alex Watts : You won't get a higher fine because you do not have a solicitor.
Alex Watts : But you should know this is in the highest bracket for sentencing
Alex Watts : The guidelines state for readings between 120 - 150 the range of sentencing options is a high level community order to 26 weeks custody with a starting point of 12 weeks custody.
Alex Watts : Therefore a fine is out of the question, there is a real risk you may face custody.
Alex Watts : You will also face a mandatory disqualification of between 29-36 months
Alex Watts : You can ask for the course which will reduce any disqualification by 25%
Alex Watts : But I would encourage you to seek the duty solicitor on the day given the very high reading.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: Will I get a prison sentence do you think?
Customer: will I get a prison service and do I explain that I am a nurse and drive for my job?
Customer: Am I entitled to a duty solicitor?
Alex Watts : It is possible you may get a person sentence but more likely it would be suspended.
Alex Watts : yes the fact you drive for your job actually makes the situation worse
Alex Watts : You are entitled to a duty solicitor.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else for you?
Alex Watts : You rated bad service despite me giving you the legal answer?
Alex Watts : What else do you want to know?