Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I was a MD at company which sold I had to sign my director

Customer Question

I was a MD at company which sold I had to sign my director ship over .Making me redundant My question is should they have offered me redundacy.?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
Did you have a service contract with the company?
Were you paid a salary? How long were you working as MD for?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I was paid a monthly salary .I was a MD for 28years.Don,t know about service contract there will be something in place.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Did you sign a resignation letter?
I would go and get advice immediately. There is a time limit for employment claims and you will most likely have a claim for constructive dismissal.
The dismissal is potentially wrongful as you have not been given notice and it is also potentially unfair as you have not been given a reason and it is clear it is because the business has been taken over.
I think the maximum claim for unfair dismissal is about £76k and given your length of service you may be close to the that figure.
You need to find out any information you have on your employment? Details of any salary rises/reviews, was PAYE deducted, did you make NI contributions etc?
If you contact the Law Society at www.lawsociety.org.uk they will be able to recommend an employment expert local to you. It is imperative that you engage a solicitor, once you do this your old company will realise you are being advised and will have to respond to you seriously. They will also start incurring costs themselves that they wont be able to recover and therefore it will put pressure on them to settle with you.
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you AJ will get straight on it Kind regards Jack
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
No problem.
I wish you the best of luck.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any follow up information.
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
To AJ. I think I did sign a resignation will that make a difference
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Potentially but you were effectively given no choice, so you could still have grounds for a constructive dismissal claim. If they did not give a reason then it could also still be an unfair dismissal.
Claim the time limits for these claims can be 3 months, so I would get a solicitor quickly to write to the company and make a claim.
AJ