Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

On 4th November 2013 following a cold call telephone call

Customer Question

On 4th November 2013 following a 'cold call' telephone call from a company call Trivium I met their salesman in my home. He offered to install a new boiler and make other insulation measures under the Government "Green Deal Scheme". No payment was required, the cost being met out of savings on our energy bills. He required an upfront 'administration fee' of £299 which he promised would be fully refundable, whether or not we proceeded with the scheme. He further promised an assessment would be made in two to three weeks.
Despite many phone calls and broken promises it was not until 23-2-14 an 'assessor' came to view the property. He promised his report would reach us within 28 days. After this period further calls to Trivium were made but to no avail. Eventually early in July, we received the 'Green Deal Assessment Report' from Trivium with a letter asking me to sign a management contract, authorising them to arrange the necessary funding an installation.
Having considered the way this company has dealt with us and reading the various reports on the internet, we do not wish to enter into a contract with them. It would appear the likelyhood of them fulfillng their obligations in the near future, if at all, are very remote.
Can you please advise me what steps I can take to recover the £299 paid to them please? I see on the internet that they have repaid at least 3 similar customers following an approach on their behalf by the BBC.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
-Have they given you a date by which you must sign the agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No date given. Quote: "Please return the form back to us if you wish to proceed with our Free Green Deal Management Service"..............

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
I would recommend that you write to them as follows:
1. Say that you are not satisfied with their service - their have been numerous delays and you no longer wish to proceed;
2. You were always assured that the deposit would be refundable and as a consumer (and on the basis you were informed it was refundable) you are entitled to have the deposit refunded on demand;
3. As they have clearly not carried out any work say that if they do not refund your deposit with the next 7 days you reserve the right to:
(i) Report them to Trading Standards; https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/
or
(ii) Make a money claim against them https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/
If they do not respond then I would recommend going to Trading Standards.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ