LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I work in a school ,if there is a civil action or complaint

Customer Question

I work in a school ,if there is a civil action or complaint that has been filed against me is the headteacher duty bound to tell me?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello. I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you tell me a little more what this is about please? If an action was being brought against you personally you would know about it before the school. If action was threatened or being brought against the school on the basis that you were their employee when you did something wrong then the school wouldn't have to let you know immediateey although it would be good practice to so so.

Customer:

I was questioned on allegations of inappropriate contact with a child(smacking) and breach of safeguarding procedures: after considering all the evidence it was concluded(March 2014) that the allegations were unfounded and therefore the outcome was No Action ( concluded by local authority HR,and headteacher).My 1 year contract with the school runs out in September-obviously I still worry due to gossip/did I mark child? etc -would I be able to approach my headteacher regarding this as surely she would be aware?

LondonlawyerJ :

Yes you can certainly ask the head teacher whether a complaint has been made or whether a third party is pursuing an action against the school. If you can stand the uncertainty though it may be better to just let sleeping dogs lie. It is likely that if there was continuing trouble you would know about it already.