12826847

I have been chasing the CSA for 18 months concerning a

Customer Question

I have been chasing the CSA for 18 months concerning a refund for over payments. They have finally provided a statement showing over payments of £3,509.79 (one years payments) but only offered half back stating Section 1 of the Child Support Act,because no one informed them that the child had left education and because I did not supply information at the start of the case years ago. Is this fair? I have had no contact with the child or parent in over 10 years so I wouldn't know whether they were in education, and had no idea I was obliged to do this.
How did you become aware of the overpayment yourself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They sent me a letter stating what the future payments were and I rang to query it and this must have prompted them to advise me - I do know they continued to deduct monies after I made the query. It's hard to remember the exact details as it was so long ago.

Are you sure that that is what they quoted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Clare,

I will scan and attach the letter on Monday. Have a nice weekend. Mark

Hi Mark
That will be good - enjoy the sunshine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attachment: 2014-07-28_080007_csa_merrick_23rd_july_2014.pdf

Clare,

Good morning! Please find the letter the CSA sent to me. I await your thoughts.Regards,Mark

Did you fail to co-operate at the start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Clare,

Many apologies for no response - I am holiday until the 11th August, but the matter needs to be resolved. I did have a look for a file with early CSA documents but for some reason cannot find anything. What I can say is that I already/had been paying the CSA for a child whilst at the same time having a private arrangement for another two with another partner. I believe I became unemployed which prompted this private arrangement to become a CSA matter. I am not sure what they mean by co-operate. I certainly have always paid what is due and this represents a considerable sum. Surely they need to demonstrate to me where they got this figure from which strangely represents half what they owe - they have been working on it for 18 months. If they owed me £10k would they have just called it £5k. Why was I not advised about contra charges earlier. I was not aware that if I over-payed I wouldn't get it back - I just trusted them to manage the situation correctly. I focus my time on working not managing my CSA account. Regards.PS Its possible I may not respond until the 11th as I am in mountainous terriain.

Have you ever obtained a copy of the file?