Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Sir, is it legal for a dog to be on the street without a collar

Sir, is it legal for a dog to be on the street without a collar ? My daughter and grandchildren have been frightened in the street by an English Bull Terrier which got out of its home and although nobody was harmed and the owner is adamant that the dog is no danger it proved difficult to control because of the lack of a collar.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Has this happened before with the dog?
Customer:

The dog has got out before but never been near enough to frighten my daughter or family, it was seen chasing a cyclist.

Alex Hughes : The Control of Dogs Order 1992 makes it a criminal offence for a dog to be in a public place without a collar bearing the name and address of the owner. The offence is punishable with a fine. It is also a criminal offence for a dog to be out of control in a public place under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. If you have concerns about this, it would be advisable to report the incident to the police.
Customer:

Brilliant, we have reported the incident and the police have said that they will call round and have a friendly chat. but now I know where we stand legally for any possible reoccurance

Alex Hughes : No problem. All the best. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer. Alex