Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

We signed a contract with a 7 day cancellation clause. On

Customer Question

We signed a contract with a 7 day cancellation clause. On day 7 we asked for changes to the contract, which would reduce the total cost. We spoke to the company and also emailed the change. Does this therefore extend the time for a further 7 days. No new contract has been issued or signed at this time. Liz xxxxx

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : How much was the difference in price compared to the original cost?
JACUSTOMER-eczcih7k- :

The original total was £3953.00 and is now reduced to £2793 = £1160

Alex Hughes : Thanks for that information. Without going into too much detail about complex contract law, what happened on the 7th day amounts to a "counter offer". If the counter offer is accepted a new agreement or contract is formed and the 7 day cooling off runs from the date.
Alex Hughes : There is no need to issue a new contract if the other terms remain the same. But as a matter of law a new contract has been agreed because of the change in price.
JACUSTOMER-eczcih7k- :

Just an additional point, we have no

Alex Hughes : Your sentence came through incomplete!
JACUSTOMER-eczcih7k- :

To confirm, therefore, we have an additional 7 days from the day the change was accepted by the company? Just an additional point, we have no had a breakdown of the costs involved, only a total price.

JACUSTOMER-eczcih7k- :

If this is the case, do we then have to legal right to cancel within this extended time without further problems? To date we have only had a verbal quote from the company - nothing in writing.

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
When there is a change to the contract as you've described the original contract no longer exists. A new contract comes into being. So, yes, the 7 days starts from the date of the second contract. You can ask for a breakdown of the cost but that's probably not very relevant to the issue of when the contract comes into being.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
On the basis that a new contract has formed the cooling off period would commence from the date the second contract was agreed. Therefore the cooling off period has re-commenced. A new contract is irrelevant if the parties are proposing to proceed with the same arrangement.