Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

help i took my motor bike in to have an mot 3 months ago and

help i took my motor bike in to have an mot 3 months ago and they dropped my bike courseing 4000 pounds worth of damage which they have repaied but i still do not have my bike back and i feel i due some form of compensation as ive not have my motor bike or any bike for the whole of the summer i feel wronged please help
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Why has the bike not been returned to you
Customer:

due to the face that is has take all this time to get it repaired and i went to inspect it last week when they said it was ready and yet it was not they had not even mot ed the bike and repair was sub standerd

Customer:

You see the motor bike was booked in for an mot and two new tyers while fitting tyers they dropped it coursing a lot of damage and yes they have repaired it at no cost to me ive lost out on the whole of the summer of riding my motor bike i know its only a toy but when i turned round to the owner of the biss he asked me to tell him how much its cost me not having bike ie insurance bike loan etc

Customer:

so i asked him too tell me how much in money my lost enjoyment was ?

OK understood.
The garage has has a duty to exercise reasonable skill and care in providing a service which they have clearly failed to do.
This amounts to a breach of contract.
It is also a breach of an implied term under the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982.
So in terms of proving they are responsible for your loss should not be a problem.
Unfortunately there is no way of putting a value on your loss of the bike and enjoyment.
The law does not set a measure for this. You have to try and work how you have been affected and put a value on it.
The figure has to be reasonable and you should be able to back it up with some argument.
A figure of around £500 - £750 is something you should consider as a ball park figure based on similar cases.