75100385

What are the costs involved in employing an ombudsman

Customer Question

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Could you explain the situation a little more?

Customer:

Hi Alex, I am a lessee of a large pub and have recently asked my landlords (a large Pub-Co) for a reduction in my rent, as I have been professionally advised that I am paying 'way too much rent'. I have had the meeting with the landlords who will not concede any reduction. They have told me if I appeal to the ombudsman they will win as they are a large company so don't bother taking it any further. How much would it cost me to 'fight the issue' should I ignore their threat, what are the time issues to consult the ombudsman and in the current climate, should I continue with my cause. I have had four meetings with national and local selling agents who specialise in sales of pubs, and they all agree that my rent is excessive at 13.4% of turnover when the national average for leasehold premises is between 8% to 9%.

Alex Watts :

Technically its not the Ombudsman, its the rent valuation Tribunal

Alex Watts :

The service itself is inexpensive

Alex Watts :

However if you are professionally represented that is where the cost is

Alex Watts :

It will cost you around £150 an hour for a Solicitor and if you are represented at the final hearing by a Barrister it will cost more.

Alex Watts :

So the cost is low to start, but more expensive to comply a professional

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Do you consider it viable to take on Greene King for a rent reduction when they claim I will lose out if I chose to go to a Tribunal, because of the size of their estate portfolio. I am paying 13.4% of my turnover in rent whereas the national and local average is 8%. What do you consider are my potential chances of getting a reduction on a scale of 1 to 10. I won't hold you accountable to this request.

Alex Watts : If you can show on balance they are overcharging then your claim will succeed.
Alex Watts : Does that help ?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/