Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I signed as a director of a co 10 years ago in name only but

Customer Question

I signed as a director of a co 10 years ago in name only but never acted upon anything to do with the co as nother person did all the daily runnings of the co. i havent been in touch with the co or person running since they started. the co is now being invistaged and i have been called to speak about this. i have gotten an after davitt stating i didnt knew anything about any dealing going on as somebody else looked after the co. do i need to seek any other legal advice?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Who is investigating the company?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the revenue

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the revenue is invistagiting

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

revenue

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i have an answer

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
As you are listed as a director you have to co operate with them and answer the questions as honestly as possible.
However you should tell them that you have only been listed as a director because you forgot to resign (I presume) you have never had any access or responsibility to the company's financial affairs and accordingly have little to know knowledge or recollection of the company's tax returns or trading history in the last ten years.
Any question that they ask you where you do not know the answer or cannot no the answer make sure you qualify it with the statement "as far as I am aware and in my reasonable belief". Do not force your self to answer something if you cannot or you struggle to remember the details, then tell HMRC you cannot remember details.
Are you sure there is no chance they will find your signature on a tax return or board minute?
Have you been given a questionnaire?
AJ