12826847

Best way to stop neighbours children harassing elderly residents.

Best way to stop neighbours children harassing elderly residents. Police don't seem to be effective, nor their housing association?
My husband cannot go out our back door if their about , he is 78 and has Alzhiemers . Kids involved are from 4 up to 10 . Parents aren't approachable.
Please help
Thankyou
Edith Welsher
What ist he harassment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Name calling , putting heavy rocks behind the wheel of my car, staring at my husband and general intimidation.
This has been going on for many years .
We unfortunately live in a mixed complex of private ( which ours is) and housing association properties nothing against them - but these odd few people will not take telling that our car park is private as we pay £120.00 pr year service charge , we also along with the H.A have had signs put up stating that no bikes ,skate boards or ball games to be played in car park.
The entrance to car park goes to main road with buss stop just outside its a very busy steep hilly road as is the car park. On Sunday one of the boys went up neighbours back path and to his back door which was open and shouted " you silly old man " just because he had told them off the night before. Father of that bot few years ago threatened to burn our house down,
The police did sort that out and it went quiet for a bit , now started again.
The reason the police will not act is that these are children under the age of criminal responsibility and so cannot be proescuted.
If they cause damage then you can sue the parents for failing to control them.
You could sue the parents in nuisance anyway on the basis that they are vicariously liable for the actions of their children. That should not be too difficult to do since these are young children that should be under the control of their parents.
Obviously some things are claimable and sum are not. You will have to prove that they were the culprits for putting rocks behind your car. Staring at you is not unlawful in the UK I'm afraid. If its just verbal abuse then you could seek an injunction effectively forcing them to control their children. There is cost in that but not substantial.