tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

someone smashed my camera, police called, not really interested.

someone smashed my camera, police called, not really interested. Am considering a small claims court action, but do not have persons name. Police do. Will they give it to me?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Yes, the police should reveal the individual's identity if you are able to demonstrate a genuine intent to pursue a claim against him. You should put your request in writing to the police station concerned.

tdlawyer :

If, for whatever reason, they refused to provide the individual's identity, then it is possible for you to obtain a court order compelling them to release that information. In most cases, the police will not oppose the order sought by you, but they often like to have that to protect them.

Customer:

Thank you. Most helpful. We have a video footage of the incident which we couldn't show the police at the time. They didn't seem interested. We were on holiday in Cornwall, and were due home the following day. It gives the lie to his statement that the "Camera was in his face". As it clearly shows him sitting down and then getting up to confront the camera, which wasn't on his face.

tdlawyer :

Okay. Do try and work with the police, they can be corporative at times, and it would save you having to apply to the court for an order that they release the individuals details. If you need to, however, and you can certainly do that.

Customer:

As we live 400 miles from where the incident took place, we are concerned about the costs of travelling - we are not young. Do you think if we sent the video to the police that would be sufficient?

tdlawyer :

Yes, that should be sufficient. There is no need to attend in person.

Customer:

Thank you very much indeed. We have the police officers details, number and incident log number so feel that should be sufficient - he should feel this should be enough for him to take action. My husband didn't make a statement because this would have meant travelling back to Cornwall to court. Now we have the video evidence we wish to continue, either via the police - doubtful because they are not interested, or the small claims court. The protagonist refused restorative justice.

tdlawyer :

Well, I hope you do manage to get a good result from this, it sounds like you certainly deserve it!

tdlawyer :

If you need anything more from me, please do let me know.

Customer:

Thank you very much, you have been most helpful, and we will let you know of the outcome.

tdlawyer :

Thank you. I look forward to hearing what happens. Please do remember to rate the answer for me before leaving the chat. Have a great day!