tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hello I am a leaseholder of a flat in a development within

Customer Question

I am a leaseholder of a flat in a development within England. The development has a district heating system of which I am charged proportionately according to square metre floor space for fixed maintenance costs and via a meter for the variable hot water usage costs. The meter is located within my flat. According to the property management company it has developed a fault and therefore doesn't give accurate usage readings. The meter needs to be replaced - who is liable to pay for the replacement? My insurance company says that such a thing would be classified as covered under buildings insurance which is held by the property management company.
Please help.
SP
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello thank you for your question. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Normally, the position is that a meter within an apartment is the responsibility of the apartment owner.

JACUSTOMER-jrbbe9cv- :

A gas or electricity meter are repaired by the gas/electric company and are located within a house. Why would I be subject to the repair costs of a similar technology.

tdlawyer :

You need to check the specific terms of your lease. Sometimes, they set out precisely whose liability this type of thing would be.

tdlawyer :

Why have you rated bad service?