Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We are thinking of installing solar panels on our roof. The

We are thinking of installing solar panels on our roof. The company we are dealing with is A Shade Greener. There are no costs to us but we have to agree to a 25 year term with the company. If we go ahead are our property rights affected in any way. My wife and I jointly own the freehold of our peoperty.
Brian Ireland
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Do you have a Mortgage over your property?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

If you enter into the agreement, you will be granting them a right to have solar panels installed on your roof for 25 years. You are not personally responsible for 25 years, in that if you were to sell within 25 years, your Buyer "takes over the commitments under the Lease". This may please some people but may deter other prospective Buyers. You therefore have to be content that this situation as it will not be possible for you to end the Lease until the 25 years has run its course.

As you have a Mortgage, you will need to make sure that the Lease they provide, is compliant with the one authorised by the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML). I have just checked on A Shade Greener's website and it does state that all their Leases do comply with CML. You will also need to speak to your Mortgage Lender and notify them of your intentions with the Lease.

I am sure you have done your homework as to the potential savings you will make, and if you are happy with what I have said above, feel free to proceed. They are a reputable Company!

I hope this assists you, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

AL