Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I am acting as guarantor for someone s rent payments .I am

I am acting as guarantor for someone 's rent payments .I am doubtful now of their ability to pay every month . As guarantor I am aware that I will pay if they don't but this seems to be an open ended agreement and I could finish up paying for months on end if they fail to or disappear .
Is there anyway this can be brought to an end as it appears that the tenant has all the law on their side and I have no recourse but to pay until I finish up more or less bankrupt .
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your questions, I will assist you with this.
Unfortunately, there is no way to bring it to an end before the end of the agreement. You cannot change your mind once you have signed the Guarantor Agreement unless the Landlord agrees to this.
Did you not read the agreement before you signed? Are you sure there is no end date on the tenancy? There usually is.
I am sorry that my answer is unlikely to be the one that you want, but I have to advise you truthfully.