31090051

I would like to know how I can tell if a copyright on my knitting

I would like to know how I can tell if a copyright on my knitting pattern is now finished? I can't tell what date the pattern was printed but the Copyright number on the pattern ends in 1175. I know the pattern was printed in the 1970's and wonder if the number refers to November 1975?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Copyright does not have a registration. It simply exists. Ownership of copyright is held by the author or by any person or company the author has assigned the copyright to. Copyright lasts in the case of this type of work for 70 years after the death of the author.
The only way to find out what has happened to the copyright is to trace and ask the last directors of the company that owned it or the liquidator of the company if any. As advised there is no copyright register in the same way that there is a patent or trademark register. Copyright is an automatic right.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you in the U.K. or the U.S.?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
UK. I am a solicitor specialising in intellectual property law.