75100385

Hi , I am one of two business partners .Our business involves

Customer Question

Hi , I am one of two business partners .Our business involves getting regular payments from the health authority .after several fights and our relationship became quite acrimonious . I was surprised to find that my business partner has contacted the health authority and informed them that due to a security breach in our original account ( that he claims he has reported to the police ) he has decided to switch bank accounts .he gave them a new bank account to which he is the sole account holder .I have checked with our original bank an they can see no security breach on their records .
Is this illegal ? Is it criminal ? what can I do ?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is the company Limited or a partnership please ?
Customer:

It is a partnership .

Alex Watts :

Was it a partnership bank account, ie in that trading name?

Customer:

yes.It was a partnership account in the business name with both of us as account holders .The new bank account was with a different bank with just him as the account holder .I am not sure in which name

Alex Watts :

Yes this could be illegal.

Alex Watts :

This is because the account belongs to both of you. The money therefore belongs to both of you.

Alex Watts :

This could be both fraud (false representation ie security issue) and possibly theft

Alex Watts :

You should report it to the Police

Alex Watts :

You should also seek a Court freezing order preventing him from taking money out of the account.

Alex Watts :

For more details of a freezing order please see:

Alex Watts :

http://www.out-law.com/topics/dispute-resolution-and-litigation/injuctions/freezing-injunctions/

Alex Watts :

But you can get a Court order to stop any disposition of any money

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thank you that was very helpful