13262538

my father is currntly in a nursing home and unfortunately my

Customer Question

my father is currntly in a nursing home and unfortunately my mother is about to join him.they jointly own the house.i live two miles away but my buisness and storage area[i am a milkman by the way]is registered at this address.will my parents be forced to sell their home if they havent got the necessary assets?thanks.gary.
What other assets do they have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my dad has assets totaling £40,000 but my mum has assets totaling £19,000.

How much is the property worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The house is worth £120,000.I live 2 miles away and would ideally like to move into my parents house because I have a cold room for my milk.Is there a way for me to move in?

Can you afford to buy the house from them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 5 years down the line of a 25 year mortgage.

Could you not sell that property and purchase theirs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I could but I was hoping there maybe another avenue to go down?

No I am sorry there is not.
Social Services will conduct an assessment of what capital is available to your parents - and this will include the value of their property
There is no way of avoiding this I am afraid - simply moving in at this point will be of no assistance
You can simply keep paying for their care from their assets and in due course from your own - that way there would be no need to involve the Local Authority at all
More details here
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS40_deprivation_of_assets_in_the_means_test_for_care_home_provision_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS38_Treatment_of_property_in_the_means-test_for_permanent_care_home_provision_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true
Please ask if you need further details