12826847

I rent a room (bills included) in my landlords home in London.

Customer Question

I rent a room (bills included) in my landlord's home in London. By nature I am a lodger. However, I found the room through a letting agent who drew up a tenancy agreement for the room.
My landlord has recently informed me that I am not allowed to have any guests, unless it is one person and they keep to my room and do not stay overnight.
There is no mention at all in our tenancy agreement about this ban. What are my rights in this situation?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

The landlord does have rights to prevent you actually subletting but you are perfectly free to have guests in your room unless the contract specifically prevents it and even then you would have a challenge to that on the basis that its unfair.

Of course, the risk is that the landlord could respond to any challenge to him by giving notice. He doesn't have to give substantial notice to evict you and you should be aware of that. On the other hand though, you cannot keep giving in to him just to avoid him giving notice. The matter has to come to a head. He may not give notice anyway as that would only create a vacancy for him.