13262538

In my wifes late fathers will, it provides that all money

Customer Question

In my wife's late father's will, it provides that all money in the estate should be divided evenly between his children, but that any chattels should be divided as the executors (a firm of solicitors) 'see fit'. Why would somoene be advised to do that in a will, as opposed to, say, also dividing the chattels evenly? And, in practice, how would the executors perform the 'as they see fit' allocation if there is no other guidance in the will?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Alex J. : Hi thank you for your question and welcome. Are any of the chattels particularly rare or valuable? For example did he have a collection of art? Kind regards AJ
Customer: There is one ring that may be particularly valuable, and three or four other items of some value, but in general the items are more of sentimental value.
Customer: Has this been answered?
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The reason why this is not usually done is because it is impossible to divide Chattels equally in terms of value or worth to a particular party
In general terms where solicitors are executors they will ask the nearest relatives to divide the items between them - and if they cannot agree on the division then all the items are sold and the proceeds taken into the estate funds
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Would the money from a chattels sale be ring fenced only for those who were left them? The will has a specific provision for money which has a slightly different allocation of beneficiaries, compared with the chattels.
Did the Will actually say who the Chattels should be shared between?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes.
Then that is who would share the proceeds of sale
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well