tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I have recently paid a building firm yo build a conservatory.I

Customer Question

I have recently paid a building firm yo build a conservatory.I have paid £4,000 to them to order the conservatory and this was in April.Since then they have done 3 days work and I have been asking when they are coming to do some more work.I know they are working on other jobs but I feel they are taking advantage as I have no males in the house(recently widowed). I have paid another£1,600 in June for wages but still no work .they are constantly making excuses and trying to fob me off but I have now had enough.where do I stand if I want monies back or how Can I get this job finished.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello thank you for your question. My name is Tony, I can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

Did you agree a time period in which the works were to be completed?

JACUSTOMER-s037o4tu- : No
tdlawyer :

Okay. Do you have a written agreement with them?

JACUSTOMER-s037o4tu- : Yes it says what work they will carry out and at what cost.it does say that I would not have to pay the remaining £3,600 until work is complete but they have already asked for £1,600 out of that for wages which I paid.
tdlawyer :

Well, if you don't have to pay it, then it might be worth holding back on the rest until you are required to pay it - ie. once it's completed. However, what you can do is write to them and tell them you consider time of the essence to complete the works.

tdlawyer :

Then if there is nothing to prevent you doing this in the agreement, you could give them 28 days to finish (if that's reasonable given what they have to do) and then tell them you'll get somebody else to finish it, and you pay them instead and sue them for any additional payments you're out of pocket for.

JACUSTOMER-s037o4tu- : I am not going to pay them anymore as they have not done anything.so should I now ask them for a completion time? Or can I request that I would like the job completed by a reasonable date .
tdlawyer :

Yes, do it in writing though, so you have a proper record of everthing.

tdlawyer :

You should request it be completed by a reasonable date - which you can set.

JACUSTOMER-s037o4tu- : Ok I will try that thank you.
tdlawyer :

Is there anything more I can assist with?

tdlawyer :

Can I check you're happy with the service please?

JACUSTOMER-s037o4tu- : No I will write to them now is an e mail ok to send or does it have to be paper?
tdlawyer :

An email is absolutely fine.

tdlawyer :

Are you happy with my service please?