Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I have one more question... The issue may also be whether hsv1

Customer Question

I have one more question... The issue may also be whether hsv1 is an sti at all. People with cold sores on there mouth don't regard them as sexually transmitted infection. And just because a person transmitted the same virus to my genitals doesn't make it miraculously an sti. On my initaial diagnosis I panicked as the doctor in public clinic told me that there is no difference between genital hsv1 and hsv2 which is not true. That confusion lead me to going to police. I later found out that hsv1 is not the same as typical hsv2 genital herpes as it doesn't cause recurrent outbreaks in most people there is one outbreak in there life time, the doctor at the sti clinic told me that she is not that informed about herpes (not in great detail). What if I will get a letter from a specialist doctor (virologist) that hsv1 is not a typical sti and that in fact it's less contagious than common cold sore, what if I get a letter from a doctor stating that what he recommends is condom use and that's it. Will it be any help if anything were to happen...
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 3 years ago.
Here is some information that may be helpful in your current situation.
For a person who has had herpes cold sores from herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV1), it is unlikely for HSV1 to be transmitted to the genitals through oral sex. Having been infected with HSV1, the immune system has already manufactured, and kept on reserve, antibodies to this virus. Thus, when the virus is encountered again, the immune system is already well acquainted with its enemy and can initiate a quick and efficient counterattack. On the other hand, for someone who has never had herpes cold sores before, infection with HSV1 through oral sex can result in a true primary episode of genital herpes. By some estimates, 50 to 90% of the American adult population carry antibodies to HSV1.

Herpes simplex type 1, most often associated with oral-facial herpes, and HSV2, the genital variety, are very similar viruses when viewed through a microscope. One major difference between the two viruses is their site of preference: oral versus genital. HSV1 prefers to enter the body near the mouth; but, the nice, warm mucous membranes of the genitals are equally inviting to HSV1 when it finds itself in that locale. Likewise, HSV2 can enter the body near, or in, the mouth and cause oral-facial herpes. However, if HSV2 enters the body above the waistline and stays there, it is still HSV2. The same holds true for HSV1 that enters the body at the genitals. The virus does not mutate based on where it ends up in the body. If it entered at the genitals, it will stay there, and any recurrences it causes will occur in the genital area.
I hope this help clarifies the confusion that you are having,
Dr Gupta