tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Some years ago my father got into a huge debt which eventually

Some years ago my father got into a huge debt which eventually caused my parents to split up. It appears that he is getting into debt again. My question is, if he dies with the debt hanging over him, would my brother and myself be liable for his funeral expenses and his creditors.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
tdlawyer :

Hello, thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can help with this.

tdlawyer :

No, you do not become personally liable for his debts to creditors etc., or to pay his funeral expenses. However, these things would normally come out of his estate, which might reduce the inheritence that you would otherwise have received should he pass away with these debts hanging over him.

Customer:

Does that still apply if he has no money at all when he dies, I know that he does not intend to leave myself or my brother any inheritance as he said he intends to spend all his assets on holidays and fast living, which we can see for ourselves that is the case.

tdlawyer :

If he has no money at all, then you don't become liable. His debts would die with him.

Customer:

Thank you for your help, that sets my mind at rest.