tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi In jan 2012 I was with Santander home insurance. Unfortunately

Customer Question

In jan 2012 I was with Santander home insurance. Unfortunately on renewal the payment failed (my credit card had expired) - Santander "cancelled" my insurance (although I was at the end of the insurance period) and "refused" to reinsure me.
I now seem compelled to state that I was "refused" insurance when apply for any insurance
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

Has this caused you any particular difficulties? Why has Stander refused to reinsure you?

Customer:

they said because of 'non -payment' of premium and that I woudl need to disclose this in future to insurers. There is always a questions around this (although vaguely worded). It leads to insurers not accepting me, or highly inflated cost

Customer:

this was back in 2012 - I did not understand implications

tdlawyer :

Okay. You should check the policy carefully to see whether the insurer was entitled to terminate in the circumstances. Usually, they are, but not always, and the exact wording of the policy will be important to this. Obviously, from a factual perspective, Satander is entitled to decline to insure anybody they wish to do so. The fact that they have refused, is an appropriate response to a question seeking to understand whether an insurer has previously refused you.

tdlawyer :

However, what it might be worth you doing, is raising a complaint to the financial ombudsman service in any event. This will not cost you anything to do.

tdlawyer :

You could complain about the termination of the policy to start with, and then what you might say is an unfair decision not to re-ensure you for the following period.

tdlawyer :

The ombudsman has very wide discretionary powers, and can do whatever it considers "just and equitable" in the circumstances of any case. It can even require an insurer to recognise the existence of an insurance policy, where the insurer says it has terminated.

tdlawyer :

Are you still there?