75100385

Good evening I was on holiday recently and whilst in a hired

Good evening
I was on holiday recently and whilst in a hired vehicle I was involved in an accident. Damage was sustained to the vehicle and I was not covered by the insurance so I'm liable for the cost of repairs. I have received the bill, but there is no break down of the costs. Just a figure in the region on £5000. The company has thus far refused to give me a more in-depth invoice and I don't feel I should have to pay until I can see what the repairs cost. Where do I stand from a legal point of view if I refuse to pay until they give me a more detailed bill? Many thanks.
John Rawcliffe
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Yes of course.

Alex Watts :

You can ask for the engineers report (to show what needed doing) together with the breakdown of the invoice

Alex Watts :

There is no way you can just be expected to pay £5000

Alex Watts :

They need to show a breakdown and indeed a number of quotes to show that they got it done the cheapest way possible and just didn't go to the most expensive

Alex Watts :

They need to mitigate their loss and show that they took steps to do so

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thanks for your advice. To date the company has not been very responsive in my asking for further details about the damage. They have sent a letter to me stating that if I don't pay soon they will pass it on to their legal department. Obviously I will inform them of what you have told me but if they do decide to continue trying to get the money from me without giving me more information what should I do next?

Customer:

John

Alex Watts :

They can pass it on to legal, but if it went to Court a Judge would ask the same thing

Alex Watts :

Did they mitigate, did they provide a breakdown?

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Well they've provided me with an invoice, but there's not indication of them finding the best quote or knowing if the work done is priced correctly or not.

Alex Watts :

That is why you need to write and ask.

Alex Watts :

Make sure everything is in writing, not email or telephone

Alex Watts :

Then you have a copy of all correspondence

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Customer:

Yes. Thank you very much.