29905560

Whilst on a training course I was mocked for being Irish whenever

Whilst on a training course I was mocked for being Irish whenever I got a question wrong with such comments as 'I know your Irish but you don't need to live up to the reputation'.
I have cancelled the course and requested a refund of my fee, after being told on the 02 July 14 that they would respond within 10-14 working days the firm have not spoken to me.
I was wondering what forms of recourse where available to me?
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How much are you owed?
Customer:

£10490

Ben Jones :

Hi, whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Also if you try and keep the claim below £10,000 it will go to the small claims court which is a more risk-free option because if you lose you will not be responsible for the other side’s legal costs. So consider that before proceeding.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks