Sony will only replace or repair faulty goods if they are sent

Customer Question

Sony will only replace or repair faulty goods if they are sent back in original packaging (they are only 6 weeks old), I did not have room to store a large cardboard box 5 feet X 2 feet. What is my legal position?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I bought a Sony Sound System 6 weeks ago. At the weekend on of the speakers stopped working. I rang Sony customer technical support and spent over 1 hour resetting everything to factory default settings etc, but to no avail. She gave me a case number ***** quote when I contacted Sony

Sales Customer Service - they quote their T&Cs which apparently state that before they will do anything the goods must be returned to them in their original packaging (which I disposed of after about 1 month).

Don't worry about their terms and conditions.
Do you have the original receipt?
Do they deny that you purchased from them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have the original purchase receipt.

They accept that I bought it from the UK Sony Online Store i.e. from Sony direct.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Invoice details:

Sony United Kingdom and Ireland

A division of Sony Europe Limited.

A company registered in England and Wales

Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands,

Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW, UK.

Registered company number:(###) ###-####/p>

Sony VAT No.: GB636110080

That is all I need to know.
Whatever their terms and conditions say, they are bound by the Sale of Goods Act. Under the SGA they have to offer some remedy whether you have the box or actually whether you have a receipt.
If this is a faulty item then they must offer a replacement, refund or repair. This is a fault that developed within the first six months of sale and so the presumptions are in your favour.
If you went to court they would not get away with this excuse.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've just spoken with Sony and they say because the goods were bought over the internet a 30 day return policy applies. How does this effect my rights to get the goods replaced or refunded?

It doesn't affect your SGA rights at all.

It does affect your distance selling rights but, in fact, even then they are using the wrong time period. It should be either 7 or 14 days.

Its not the DSR you are relying upon here