Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My mum passed away recently she has a will . me and my sisters

My mum
passed away recently she has a will . me and my sisters are the executive of the will. We also have enduring power of attorney. are we able to access her accounts with this..or how does it work. We need to access her account to pay bills etc
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

A Power of Attorney only remains valid during that person's lifetime, and so the Atttorneys only have a right to access that person's Bank accounts etc while they are alive.

As soon as someone passes away, their Executors become responsible fo rdealing with the Estate and they are the only ones who can access the Bank accounts etc. Unfortunately, the Banks will not allow Executors access to the acoc**ts until Probate has been obtained by the Executors.

Probate is evidence that you and your sister are your Mother's Executors and are entitled to deal with her Accounts etc.

The procedure to obtain probate is pretty easy, but can take a few weeks. You can either apply yourselves to a local Probate Registry or you can instruct a local Solicitor to deal with th epaperwork and application on your behalf.

In the meantime, all utility providers and other creditors will be aware that ther eis going to be a delay before you can pay any of the bills. You therefore should contact them to explain the position and they will note their records accordingly.

As regards ***** ***** costs,they will be aware that there is likely to be a delay before you can settle their charges, and will understand. If you really wanted to, as long as you can obtain their invoice, most Banks would be prepared to issue a cheque payable to the Funeral Directors before Probate is issued.

I hope this assists you and answers your question.

Kind Regards

AL