12826847

I have a foreign student staying with me, he has been bailed

Customer Question

I have a foreign student staying with me, he has been bailed until 20th of this month, he has been arrested for sexual assault, as far as i am aware he grabbed a girl of 16, he has been told he could face up to 1years sentence. much is he likely to serve if convicted.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How old is he?

What are the facts of the offence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is 27yrs, mexican, with limited english, but able to make informed consent.

He states he grabbed a 16yr old female, on her breast, with intention. He did not know her age before this incident. he was walking past her and reached out. he claims did it for the act of contact????

5hours following, he was arrested at his englich college. he was taken to a station approx 40miles away, he was interviewed there by, i believe, the arresting officers.

He was advised at that time he could get one years prison term. This solicitor is also in the town he was held. Which is not his residing town.

many thanks

If this is a touching over clothing of a person old enough to consent although obviously she actually did not consent then he is not going to get anything like a year custody.

The sentencing guidelines do include custody and there is case law that says custody is not out of the question but its not likely.

I would expect a community order. Even allowing for the fact that she is young, she is still not a child.

the very worst that could happen is that they could suspend his sentence.