Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I,ve lived with my mother in her house for the past 2 years.

I,ve lived with my mother in her house for the past 2 years. She has now gone into care with dementia and my sister is now power of attorney. I realise her house will have to be sold to pay for her care but as my mother has cash assets of nearly £100,000 in her accounts does the house have to be sold straight away. The care home costs come to around £30,000 per year so with her cash assets and £18,000 a year pension, there,s enough to last for at least 3 years. My sister wants to buy the house purely as an investment.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

The State can't insist on the property being sold. Provided the Nursing Home fees can be paid, there is no necessity to sell.

On a side point, a person's home is disregarded when assessing their capital, if a relative over 60 lives in it. So providing that your mother's home is your main residence and you lived there (and only there) for 2 years before she needed formal care, then it should be excluded, if you are 60 or over!

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards

AL