12826847

My husband and I own our house and all the belongings we have

Customer Question

My husband and I own our house and all the belongings we have bought in and out of the house. We have a younger son who live with use and he has payed for all his expensive computer system.
My old son does not live with us, but has used our address to borowed from many money load company's and has not got the funds to pay back. We are receiving many letters for him, with each letter stating only to be opened by the name on the letters and not address.
My husbands and My concerns are ,if bailiffs turn up at our address what rights do we have.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If bailiffs were to turn up at my address, what do we do . Have they the right to come into our house at any means.eg open window or unlocked doors. Take away garden furniture. This our home we have payed for and not my oldest sons. We are not responsible for his actions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son has borrow money from many money loan companies eg

Wanga and has bank overdrafts. They want their money back but it s his loans and not ours , even if he has used our address.

Do they have a CCJ against him to your knowledge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not that I know of ,as I don't read the letters. But there has been no important letters marked from C C s, as yet.

They can only send bailiffs to your address if there is a CCJ. Of course, in the end if he ignores this they will probably seek a CCJ though.
Even if they do and bailiffs are despatched they still cannot seize anything belonging to you. He is the debtor and only his goods can be taken.
Obviously you can reduce this risk by sending everything onto him and giving them any information that you have about his whereabouts etc.
You don't have to let bailiffs in to your house but there is no risk here because you are not the debtor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do we provide he does live at our address if the bailiffs turn up and that all our furniture items in the house belong to us. Will they want proof of purchase. As we have lived in the house over 27 years.

They can sometimes demand proof of purchase but they won't take things like that anyway. There is very little value in that sort of seizure.

They will be looking for a vehicle or high value electrical goods. Vehicles are easy enough to attribute to an owner and not another.