tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I have had a court summons issued against me, for maintenance

Customer Question

I have had a court summons issued against me, for maintenance fees from the management company that look after the property that I have rented out through a letting agent.
The summons was not passed to me so I was unaware of the court case. I have been contacted by the HCEO for a cost that is now £4500.
When I purchased the property my wife called into the offices of the management company and gave them our permanent address details. We have just contacted them and asked why the did not send bills to our home and the said we had not given the details.
We then told the the name of the person we spoke to, she no longer works there but the response was that giving details to someone to write on a pad did not qualify as having informed them and that it needed to be in writing.
I asked the letting agency that rent the property on my behalf if they had also informed the management company that the property was let and they showed me a letter to them from the management company where they had requested replacement keys, in order to get the keys that had to explain that they were acting as letting agents on my behalf.
A property inspection was carried out and letters including the court summons were collected and forwarded to me on 05/08/14.
Do I Have any grounds to appeal against the court judgment as I feel cheated, I knew I had To pay the bill and funds have been set aside but I never received it or the summons until yesterday and it is now over £2000 more.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name is Tony, I can answer this for you.

tdlawyer :

Was the court judgment issued in default against you?