UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My sister and I have been estranged for a number of years,

My sister and I have been estranged for a number of years, largely due to the interference of a very dominant mother who has since passed away. I was not included in my mothers Will and the entire estate went to my sister, Sadly, she is now in Intensive Care in hospital and not expected to survive. Upon being admitted, she gave her neighbour as 'next of kin' does that mean he can make medical decisions such as terminating life support. Other than a couple of uncles, I am her only living blood relative and feel that this responsibility should be mine, could you advise please. Thank you
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about your sister's condition.
Unfortunately, there is no legal definition of next of kin and if your sister chose her neighbour, then I am afraid it will be him who makes decisions, and not you, as she did not choose you.
You may read more about this here
http://www.advicenow.org.uk/living-together/next-of-kin/
Sorry if this is not what you wish to hear but I have a duty to advise you truthfully.