Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My mother died without leaving a will as her only child I sorted

Customer Question

My mother died without leaving a will as her only child I sorted out everything including will searchs and getting probate sorted now nine months on my step family are saying that I was not sole executor and are asking about my mothers estate are they entitled to anything and have I done wrong
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Are they saying that your Mother has left a Will? If so, have they provided evidence to you?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes they have sent me a solicitors letter asking me for a copy of any will found but I have written back telling them I found no will and asking them to send me a copy of a will that they may have

Hi Michael,

Thank for your reply.

It sounds to me that they are just trying it on- if you were not aware of any Will and they haven't sent you a copy of any Will or any evidence that your Mother made a Will, there is nothing they can do to dispute the matter.
As it stands, therefore, you acted correctly in dealing with your Mother's Estate on the basis that there was no Will.

Only if they can provide evidence that your Mother did sign a valid Will, are they entitled to anything (provided of course the Will does name them as beneficiaries).

I hope this helps and answers your question.

Kind Regards
AL

Hi Michael,

Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards
AL
Hi Michael,

Can I help any further?

Kind Regards
AL