12826847

Hello. I have received a county court claim from a UK lawyer

Hello. I have received a county court claim from a UK lawyer for a debt in U.A.E. I am living in the United States and it was sent to my parents addess in England. I was informed that the U.A.E cannot claim for credit card debt in the UK. Can you advise?
Surely they are suing in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The County Court Claim is from a UK solicitor, suing me in the UK. I also don't know how to check if the document is genuine

Then they are subject to the UK laws I'm afraid so whatever the position in the UAE makes no difference I'm afraid.
If you are concerned that their figures are wrong then you can ask them to prove what they allege.
In the UK they very definitely can claim for a credit card debt.
In relation to the address, they only have to serve upon your last known address in the UK and clearly you have received this claim so that is adequate I'm afraid.
Im very sorry if this is bad news.
Can I clairfy anything for you ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So even if I do not live in the UK they can still file the judgement. I only know of it as my parents opened it?

The solicitor is in the UK but they are acting on behalf of the U.A.E bank

Whether you live in the UK is a non issue.
The issue is whether the contract was performed at least in part in the UK. Whether or not the bank is based in the UAE is therefore a non issue if they can show any form of performance took place in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. One last question. The solicitors in question have a reputation for chasing U.A.E debt and I have read many forums that they have bought the debt from the U.A.E bank. They seem to have very good scare tactics and some people have been successful in disputing their actions. How can I make sure the County Court Claim in genuine. Is there any way to check?

Yes, just call the court and ask if they recognise the claim number.
Usually its debt collection agencies that buy debts rather than solicitors but I suppose its a possibility.
Its worth checking if you are concerned.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I will do. Sorry one more thing. If it is genuine, is it normal to accept payments. The debt is 13,000 and I cannot pay it in full. Would they file a judgement if I cannot pay the full amount?

They will make a judgment that you pay within 28 days but you can apply to pay in instalments and it probably would be allowed, Its in everybody's interests to allow that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I have not used this service before. May I come back if I have further questions?

Yes, no problem.
The question won't close from your side.
Please remember to rate my answer.