75100385

I have 1 drink driving charge 2 drunk and disorderly charges

Customer Question

I have 1 drink driving charge
2 drunk and disorderly charges
3 assult on police officer charges (while drunk)
I think they will all be 'spent' very soon
I am in AA and have been for 5 years
If I apply for PGCE courses or other things that require a CRB check will the 'spent' convictions prevent me / them from employing me?
And will the spent convictions stop me from travelling working or moving abroad?

Alex Watts : This means as soon as your convictions are spent they won't show on a DBS check,
Alex Watts : However if you are working with children or vulnerable adults the police can put on information as required for the protection of those people.
Alex Watts : However the offences won't show.
Alex Watts : As for travelling abroad that's a whole different story.
Alex Watts : So the advice here is check before you book and get a visa if necessary
Alex Watts : As for whether they employ you, it's always a decision for the employer.
Alex Watts : But the offences you mention will not show on a DBS check once spent.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please ?
JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

So if my convictions are spent a DBS check will be 'clean' However if the organisation is a government or one that

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

Thanks for the message.

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

Apologies i keep pressing enter to get onto the next line and its sending my text

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

I would like to check my understanding can you help with this?

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

I think I am unable to request an independant DBS or any other certificate to prove I am 'clean/ok' to work with children for example. The org or company have to request it. In which case as my convictions are spent the check will come back as 'EMPTY' and 'OK'

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

If the police are concerned about the nature of the job in relation to my offences they can write something along the lines of 'in relation to prev offences it is not advised the job role is given? and they are not allowed to give the actual offences?

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

The new law from may 29th 2013 regarding old and minor spent cautions and convictions being erased and no longer subject to disclosure says that all convictions where an ind. has more than one conviction recorded will stay. Does this law have any bearing on the DBS check results or is it in relation to the actual criminal record kept by the police?

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

Would an enhanced DBS check mean all the offenses I have on my record will be disclosed to a potential employer?

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

In relation to travel then... There are some countries I can go and live/work/holiday in without checks. But to work/live in certain countries I will need a visa and that visa may include enhanced DBS or other checks meaning they are able to access my offences and make a decision on whether I can go ahead? presumably if I get the go ahead from the embasy/visa there are no restrictions on my gaining employment coz of spent convictions because they have the same access as UK emplyers and a DSB (if needed for abroad employment) will come back 'CLEAR' 'OK'

Alex Watts : Yes with the new rules and DBS there is a list of f
Alex Watts : Yes with the new rules and DBS there is a list of offences that will never be filtered.
Alex Watts : These offences are not on that list and will therefore not show
Alex Watts : This just applies to DBS check only and not the Police record. The police record will always show the offence offences.
Alex Watts : Enhanced DBS will also not show the filtered offences.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

thank you

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

in the new rules it seems to say if any offence is commited more than once it will not be removed . I interpret this as as i have 2 d and d charges and 3 ass on p officer charges I they will not be filtered and will therefore definitey always appear on dbs and enhanced dbs but you are telling me definitely to any employer I practically have no record because any legal checks will come back clear.. even I could apply to work for the police?

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

I am sorry to be so thorough in my questioning it just seems everyone I have spoke with says it will restrict the jobs I can do

JACUSTOMER-a2q7i0lk- :

can you help at all with the travel side of things? am I likely to be refused into certain countries to work/immagrate or holiday because of the convictions? or will they also be unavalaible to authorities and regular security checks