How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70100
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In our residents parking area there are notices put up by the

Customer Question

In our residents parking area there are notices put up by the local council which reads. Private Residents parking only. Since a new family moved in their visitors are taking the parking spaces that the residents use. The local council have told me that they can not stop this happening as they can not enforce the resident parking only signs. I am disabled and I need to be able to get to my car with ease. I have be told that I can,t have a disabled space marked out for me. I need extra room to get in and out of my car. I have a blue badge and my car Tax is displayed as disabled. Please advise what I can do now. Thank you, ***** I come under Mole Valley District Council Surrey.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jo,

What would you like to know.


I would like to know the legal rights concerning resident parking.


Thank you




Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, the local authority are under no duty to actually provide disabled parking spaces for residential property. There is a moral obligation but not a legal one.

However the local authority may be able to enforce parking restrictions and stop the visitor's parking in the residents parking area depending on the terms of the lease/tenancy agreements of the property. Just because it is a local authority does not mean that they cannot put in whatever restrictions they like provided it is allowed for in the tenancy agreement and prayer or if the properties are held on leases, provided the lease is allow them to put in what ever rules they like in the interest of good estate management. That would be quite normal.

Private developments like this use these Private parking companies all the time and whilst it is debatable whether the penalties imposed by them are enforceable in court they do provide a massive deterrent to stop people parking.

If the local authority will not put these measures in place, then make a formal complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

You can complain about the lack of disabled parking facilities at the same time and it would be worthwhile doing so although obviously, that disabled space would be available to anyone who is disabled and not just you. They would not be able to provide you with a dedicated space.

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice