12826847

criminal records of 8.5 years served 6years after how long

Customer Question

criminal records of 8.5 years served 6years after how long does it become written off

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am claiming for an arson attack which took place at my premises

Sorry?

Are you asking about the spending period of a conviction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes iam questioning the spending lenght of this can deny to give ne payment on these gounds

So the arson conviction is what gives rise to the insurance claim?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

was not involved the place was a public house wee were asleepe when the intruders , the pup was open 10.30pmono of the arsonist burnt himselfe and is in hospital badly burnt but the insurance adjustors for theinsurance theompany feel that a though i discloused this to my broker who informered the insured company that ths is not admisable

So you didnt disclose a previous conviction?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes i did disclose my convictions but it seems that the company zuric passed the insurance on to another company who failed to declaired the the present insurer

Ok.

But they would have sent you the policy ? Did you correct it when it was not on the policy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

mo i relied soly on my broker to do that and he has an e mail to say that he passeed on all the info on to the present insurer insureer

Does he accept that you told him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes he tolm and my assesor and the insurance people

This isn't an issue of spending of convictions. However, if the sentence was 6 years then it will never be spent.

In any event though, spent or not the insurance company are entitled to know about it and given the nature of the conviction it is a relevant non disclosure. If this was not disclosed then they are free to disallow the claim on that basis.

However, you may have a claim against the broker in negligence if he failed to pass this, clearly relevant, information on and he accepts that.

If he is saying that he did tell them and they just did not update their records then you could argue that they are liable and cannot disallow the claim because they were told. The fact that they didn't appreciate the information is not your fault and cannot be visited upon you.