Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

probate was completed last year on my fathers estate , my

probate was completed last year on my fathers estate , my mother and I have the grant of probate.
She is now selling the house, and 50% of the estate is to be distributed to myself and siblings.
Can I ask a solicitor to distribute the money or do my mother and I have to do it.
I have been told solicitors will not do it due to, it can be classed as money laundering?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
As Executors, you are your Solicitor's clients and you are entitled to instruct him to distribute the proceeds of Sale in accordance with your Father's Will.
Therefore, as long as you can provide your Solicitor with a copy of the Will, he will be happy to distribute the proceeds of Sale as per the Will.
I hope this helps you and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks AL,

however probate was completed last year, the solicitor dealing with it has been paid his percentage of the estate and his part is now closed.

Now do we instruct a new solicitor to deal with distributing the money from the sale, or is it best to do it ourselves ?

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for your reply.
Your "new" Solicitor would still be happy to distribute the proceeds of Sale in accordance with the Will, provided you let me have sight of the Will.
Alternatively, he can pay the proceeds to you as Executors, and then you distribute the due amount to your siblings.
I hope this assists.
Kind Regards
AL