75100385

If I have been asked by a franchise to re-sign before the end

If I have been asked by a franchise to re-sign before the end of the season, and I agree and there is email conversations of a player package details of costs, allowance, accommodation etc included and I'm told on several occasions the contract is on its way, and then they pull it as they changed their minds two weeks out from my departure I.e. return tickets back overseas booked and paid back when they asked to re-sign me, is this a breach of our agreement?

The offer was made from the franchise in the UK but I'm based in NZ.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help with this.
But nothing has been signed at this stage, it was all subject to contract, is that right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex, nothing has been signed. It was verbally agreed, details agreed and emailed stating the contract was coming on more than one occasion. I booked return flights back based on our agreement back in mid March 2014.

My usual employer was not able to take me back short term due to commitments to this agreement.

One of the emails states clearly from the head coach that she wants me I the team and the contract was coming soon.

I've learnt they picked up 3 other international players, and appears to have reneged on their agreement with me.

If nothing has been signed its bad news.
What you have is subject to contract, that is an agreement subject to the main contract. This means either party can pull out at any time before contracts have been signed
If the contracts had been signed then yes it would be breach of an agreement. But as contracts have not been signed I am sorry to say it is not.
I know this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have to be honest.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Alex for your response. So a verbal agreement means absolutely nothing - grasping at straws I guess.

We can at least request they reimburse the return airfare?

I'm thinking of taking this matter higher to the authorities I.e., sporting code committee as we wouldn't want anyone to be treated this way by the same outfit. While nothing had been signed they promised the contract was on its way, changed their minds therefore making it impossible for us to apply to other franchises. Integrity hugely lacking on their behalf. This is our daughters livelihood they have messed up.

A verbal agreement can but it is usually subject to contract of the main one.
You can request the airfare but if they say no, given you are in NZ you would need to sue here.
I hope this helps.