How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69775
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am the second trustee of a small trust. My co-trustee is

seriously demented. He is also... Show More
seriously demented. He is also the income beneficiary of the trust. How do I obtain his resignation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
Jo C., Barrister
Satisfied Customers: 69775
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
In what way is he demented?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

My co-trustee (Christopher) is suffering from advanced Alzheimers. He has been in care for past 15 months. He no longer reads and can not now speak. He probably understands little that is said. He is unable to write.


Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago.
If he has not been sectioned under the Mental Health Act then you have to apply to court to have him removed. That can be extremely time-consuming and costly if it is defended.
The process is not something to be undertaken easily and really needs a specialist solicitor as you will read if you look at this link page.
Many trust documents provide for the automatic resignation of a trustee who is no longer capable and in that respect, he would have to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
You cannot remove an incompetent person as a beneficiary because they are still entitled to the income unless it is a discretionary trust and there is some provision in the trust for the income element to be varied.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Jo Thank you.

Christopher has been Sectioned. Nobody will oppose his resignation.

He will continue to receive the trust income.

In the circumstances, I had hoped that I could file with the Charity Commissioners a Form of Resignation -which normally requires the retiring trustee's signature - with the Section Notice and letter of explanation attached.

Would this succeed ?

Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, but I am not familiar with Charity Commission trusts and therefore will opt out for another expert.
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Satisfied Customers: 15
Experience: Moderator
replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice