Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

how do i get a copy of my uncles will who died eight weeks

how do i get a copy of my uncles will who died eight weeks ago if iam not in it as he had alot of money and property
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

A Will is a private document, which only the Executors and beneficiaries are entitled to see, until Probate has been granted.

Once Probate has been granted, the Will becomes a public document and any member of the public can apply to the Probate Registry for a copy, for a nominal fee.

How long does Probate take? Well, it all depends on how complicated the Estate is. If there is any Inheritance tax (IHT) to pay (where an Estate is valued over £325,000) it can take a good 6 months before Probate is obtained. If no IHT is payable, then Probate is normally granted after 3-4 months.

What i therefore suggest you do is to carry out a postal application to the Leeds District Probate Registry for a Standing Search. This means the Probate Registry will send you a copy of the Will as and when Probate is granted. The link to their website is as follows-

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate.../searching-for-probate-records

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards

AL

Can I help you any further?

Kind Regards

AL